The PRCC Honors Institute aims to provide the College’s intellectually gifted students with an enriched and challenging curriculum, to foster individual scholarship and research, and to extend this spirit of academic enrichment beyond the campus into the community at large.
The Goals of the Honors Institute are:
- To enhance the intellectual climate of the College and its leadership in the academic community.
- To enrich Honors coursework with research, service, and other experiential opportunities in order to broaden students’ perspectives and to challenge them to achieve their full potential as learners, leaders, and citizens.
- To enhance the academic spirit of the community by promoting intellectual engagement in all its forms among students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Students selected for the Pearl River Community College Honors Institute will participate in intensive and innovative classes which are designed to be both challenging and stimulating. Applicants must have a minimum composite ACT score of 25 and a minimum grade point average of 3.4. Students selected will have honors-related academic advising to assist in planning for future educational and leadership opportunities. Honors students must attend and participate in the Pearl River Community College Honors Lecture Series and the Honors Seminar each semester.
Participation in the Honors Institute is offered at two levels:
- Honors Institute Graduate – Students must complete at least 21 hours of Honors coursework, and maintain a cumulative 3.4 grade point average.
- Honors Certificate – Students must complete 15 hours of Honors coursework with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.4.
All courses designated Honors include the general course objectives and additional activities appropriate to the study of the course. Participation in Honors courses is by permission only, and Honors courses are designated with an “H” on the transcript. To qualify for Honors Institute designation, students must be members of the Honors Institute in good standing.
Honors sections include the same material covered in regular sections of a course but in greater depth with more opportunity for students to pursue individual interests. The Honors Institute brings together award-winning faculty and highly motivated students.
Graduates of the Pearl River Community College Honors Institute will have the opportunity to transfer into the honors programs at other Mississippi institutions of higher learning, where they may be eligible for additional scholarship opportunities.