ADN Information Night
Thursday, November 19th at 5pm
Kaplan Entrance Exam
January 29, February 5, 12, & 19
Times - 9am
Registration Opens - Dec 1st until all seats are filled
July 1st to October 1st For Spring Entrance
December 1st to March 1st For Fall Entrance
Location(s) of Program: Poplarville Campus
Brief Description of Program: The Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) program at PRCC is designed to prepare graduates for a challenging and satisfying career as a registered nurse (RN). The ADN program begins each fall and spring semester on the Poplarville campus. Once accepted into the ADN program, the traditional option is four semesters in length or the LPN to ADN option is one part-time semester with the remaining two semesters of the traditional program of study. The curriculum includes a balance of nursing and general educational courses. Students have the opportunity to apply nursing theory and skills in the simulation/skills lab and in a variety of healthcare agencies. Clinical settings may include hospitals located within the six counties the college serves as well as clinics, long-term care facilities, physician offices, rehabilitation centers, and K-12 schools. Students are required to provide their own transportation to all clinical experiences.
A graduate of the ADN program is conferred the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree and is eligible to apply for and take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) to become a RN. ADN students must understand that any conviction of a misdemeanor or felony offense may be grounds for refusal by any state board of nursing to issue a license.
The Associate Degree Nursing program at Pearl River Community College located in Poplarville, Mississippi is–
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30326
The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the ADN program is Continuing Accreditation.
View the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this program at
- Approved by the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning (MS IHL)
3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211
Telephone: (601) 432-6486
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing(NCSBN – Professional License Requirements)
Essential Requirements of a person in this career field: Admission requirements:
- Ability to meet Core Performance Standards: Critical Judgment, Communication, Interpersonal Reactions, Mobility - Physical Strength & Stamina, Motor Skills, and Senses – Auditory, Olfactory, Tactile, & Visual.
- PRCC student online application.
- ADN program - online application
- Copy of Driver's License
- Copy of ACT score, if applicable.
- Copy of transcript(s) from all colleges previously attended; including PRCC.
- Copy of high school transcript from an accredited high school or GED test score, if never attended college.
- Copy of Pre-Admission Exam score.
- Completed Criminal Background Check (CBC) questionnaire.
- If applicable, a letter from the dean or director of any ADN or BSN program attended stating date of eligibility to return. Note: If not eligible for immediate return, the waiting period is three (3) years from exit date to apply.
- If applicable, a copy of current unencumbered Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) license and a completed LPN Employer Verification form.
Contact Information for this Program:
Possible Careers in this field: Registered nurses are able to have careers in many areas of healthcare including but not limited to practice, education, advance practice, public policy, research, and judiciary.
What a student can expect from a career in this field: Students can expect to be challenged physically, mentally, and spiritually in this career and still find fulfillment in aiding patients and their families at a time when they are most vulnerable.
Possible earnings of jobs in this career field: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (May, 2017), the current national annual median wage is $70,000 with hourly median wage at $33.65. In Mississippi, the current annual mean wage is $57,000 with hourly mean wage at $27.74.
Mission of the Program: The ADN program at PRCC is committed to instruct students in the art and science of nursing, to prepare graduates for successful passage of the NCLEX-RN exam, and to provide students with the skills necessary to practice as entry-level registered nurses in diverse healthcare settings.
Goals of the Program: Upon completion of the program, the PRCC-ADN graduate will be able to:
- Deliver quality, safe and effective patient-centered care.
- Apply the nursing process while delivering care that encompasses the needs and culture preferences of the patient through advocacy, caring, and communication.
- Demonstrate leadership and professionalism through delegation, prioritization, teaching/learning, and critical thinking – taking into account any ethical or legal implications.
- Utilize evidence-based practice to guide nursing care through understanding of inclusivity and the needs of the patient throughout the lifespan.
- Collaborate with inter-professional healthcare teams to provide patient-centered care through communication and documentation.