Dear Prospective Student:
We are pleased that you have shown an interest in the Dental Assisting program at Pearl River Community College. The deadline to apply for the August 2021 class is April 30, 2021. Please follow the steps below to insure that your application is complete.
The following items must be submitted as one (1) complete packet to the Dental Assisting department prior to April 30, 2021:
- Program Application (see below)
- Official high school transcript or GED mailed to the Dental Assisting Department.
- ACT Score (Phone 319-337-1313 or go online to www.act.org if scores are not included on high school transcripts.)
- Verification of Observation Hours Form - Observe a Dental Assistant working with a dentist for a minimum of eight (8) hours and have the verification form completed and returned with your application information.
The Dental Assisting Program is a 12-month course of study, beginninginthe fall and ends in the summer. There are two degree options: Technical Degree or with additional academic coursework, Associates Degree of Applied Science. The Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) exam will be taken in 3 parts: Infection Control, Radiology Health and Safety and General Chairside. Once all three exams are passed, and course curriculum completed with a “C” average, a student then becomes a Certified Dental Assistant. Please see danb.org for more information.
Applicants must meet the requirements of Pearl River Community College and be eligible to take English Composition I (Eng 1113), and have a minimum ACT composite score of 18 to be considered for the dental assisting program. Application submission and/or meeting the minimal requirements does not guarantee acceptance. Upon
acceptance, the applicant must submit a college approved health form, complete CPR training for healthcare providers with an AED component, and comply or decline Hepatitis B vaccinations. A physical, including drug screening, is required.
- Be 18 years of age by the date of program completion
- Complete a Pearl River Community College admissions application
- Submit accredited high school transcript or pass GED test
- Submit ACT score of 18 or higher
- Submit all college transcripts
- Applicant must be eligible to take English Composition I, if not taken previously
Applicants with the highest points for ACT and GPA will be invited for personal interviews.Applicants will be selected based on the following:
- Admission Point Scale
- Knowledge of the dental field and duties of the dental assistant
- Interest in becoming a dental assistant
- Verbal and nonverbal communication skills
- Alternates will be chosen to fill vacancies that could arise before the end of late registration.
ALL STATEMENTS RELATED TO ADMISSION CRITERIA OR ANNOUNCEMENTS OF PRESENT POLICIES ARE SUBJECT TO REVISIONS
ANY ADVICE GIVEN BY THE DENTAL ASSISTING DEPARTMENT REGARDING COURSEWORK DOES NOT INSURE ACCEPTANCE INTO THE PROGRAM
PLEASE NOTE, IF YOU ARE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW, YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL CONCERNING DATES AND TIMES OF INTERVIEWS.
How to Apply
- Complete the PRCC Admissions Application. Within 3-5 days, you will receive RiverGuide Credentials.
- Once you receive your Riverguide credentials, use them to complete the Dental Assisting Program Application
- You must escript (preferred) or mail an official high school transcript and official transcripts from all previously attended colleges to:
Pearl River Community College
Office of Admissions
101 Hwy 11 North
Poplarville, MS 39470
You have the option of saving your application information before submitting, exiting, and returning at a later date to complete the application. Once you have completed the information and submitted the application, the application will no longer be available to you. You will receive an email stating that your application has been submitted for the current program application period along with further information.