Location(s) of Program:Poplarville Campus and the Forrest County Center
Brief Description of Program: The Practical Nursing program is a twelve-month certificate program designed to prepare qualified individuals to function as a member of the health care team in administering safe, effective health care as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The care rendered by a Licensed Practical Nurse is under the direction of a registered nurse, licensed physician or licensed dentist. Upon successful completion of the Practical nursing Program the graduate will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN (licensure exam) to become a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
Essential Requirements of a person in this career field: Admission requirements:
- Completed PRCC application
- Completed practical nursing application
- Minimum composite ACT score of 16; 14 in reading and math
- Official high school transcript from accredited high school indicating date of graduation or official GED report indicating “passed”
- Official college transcript from any college attended
- Attend a mandatory PN Orientation session and ROAR
Instructor Contact Information for the Program:
Possible Careers in this Program: Practical Nurses are needed in most every area of the medical field. Some areas include: Offices, Clinics, Hospitals, Long-Term Care Facilities, and Home Health.
What a student can expect from a career in this field: A career in Practical Nursing offers many advantages including practice in various areas of the medical field and flexible hours.
Possible earnings of jobs in these career field: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the current median salary for an LPN in the United States is $44,090.00 and in Mississippi the median annual salary for an LPN is $37,000 or approximately $18.00 an hour.
Mission of Program: Pearl River Community College Practical Nursing Program is a certificate program committed to providing a quality educational opportunity for those seeking a career in practical nursing.
Goals of Program:
- Students will complete the PN Program (Certificate) within the allotted time frame of twelve (12) months for full-time regular entry students or eighteen (18) months for dual enrollment/ dual credit students.
- Graduates will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN® exam upon graduation as approved by the Mississippi State Board of Nursing (MSBN).
- Graduates will function as competent qualified practical nurses prepared for employment in various and diverse healthcare settings in local and regional surrounding communities.
- Graduates will pass the NCLEX-PN® within the allotted testing time frame.