POPLARVILLE - Pearl River Community College will celebrate the Christmas season with a variety of performances and community events.
The events are early so as not to interfere with fall semester final exams the week of Dec. 5. They include:
- The Department of Fine Arts and Communication will present A Southern Christmas Carol at 7 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, Nov. 15 and 16, at the Brownstone Center in Poplarville.
Based on Charles Dickens’ novel and adapted by PRCC theater instructor Christopher Flynn, the play features a number of PRCC instructors and students in the cast. Tickets are $5 at the door or by calling the ticket office at 601 403-1180; general admission only.
- The Brownstone Center presents Big Band Christmas by Denver and the Mile High Orchestra at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 28. The performance is part of the Arts Season and included in season ticket packages. Individual reserved seats are $25 and $20 at www.brownpapertickets.com or 601 403-1180.
- The Forrest County Center will host Making Spirits Bright at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 29. The evening of holiday musical favorites by a variety of local artists is a fund raiser for the cost of moving and tuning a grand piano donated to the center. Tickets are $7. Contact email@example.com or 601 554-5492 or firstname.lastname@example.org or 601 403-1802.
- The Poplarville campus will be decked out for the holidays for Wildcat Wonderland at 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 30.
The free community event will include a winter fashion show with Santa arriving in Crosby Hall, hot chocolate, cookie decorating and other kids’ activities, pictures with Santa, music by the JazzCats outside the library, a living Nativity scene and music by the River Road pop choir at Malone Chapel.
Families can hop aboard the Wildcat Polar Express to move between events and view the Christmas movie-themed decorations across campus. Donations of individual-serving foods for Backpack Buddies will be accepted.
Details can be found at www.prcc.edu/wildcatwonderland.
- The Spirit of the River marching band will be in the Poplarville Christmas parade at 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 1.
The South Mississippi Ballet presents The Nutcracker at 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 16, and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 17, at the Brownstone Center in Poplarville. The ballet is part of the season ticket package. Individual tickets are $20 and $15 through brownpapertickets.com or 601 403-1180.
The ticket office along with the rest of PRCC will be closed during Thanksgiving week.