Patient Access Specialist (req num: 10063) Clinic Central Scheduler STPH Covington, LA
- Per Diem
- As Needed - PRN
Summary of the Job:
The Patient Access Specialists are primarily responsible for completing an efficient and organized registration, admission and insurance verification of all inpatients and outpatients. Excellent customer service skills are crucial in this role. The Patient Access Specialist must ensure that accurate information is collected, that they are always sensitive to the confidentiality of this information, and that patients are aware of their rights as determined by HIPAA regulations and company policy, and that they are a consistent proponent of patient throughput and volume growth.
The Patient Access Specialists responsibilities include duties such as verifying insurance coverage, benefits, obtaining authorizations, completing registration pathways in the HIS systems, receiving, maintaining, clarifying, entering and/or validating physician orders, scheduling appointments, determining third party payer liability for organizational billing, checking medical necessity, handling daily batching and posting of point of service payments and having conversations with patients to resolve previous and current balances. Maintains a positive relationship with healthcare team and is a resource to physicians, staff and patients for information regarding orders, insurance and referrals, as well as any other issues that might impact the relationship/experience of these stakeholders .The Specialist is also responsible for training and mentoring other Patient Access Representatives and Specialists in the more technical aspects of job.
• High school diploma or equivalent. Some college preferred.
• At least 1 year of previous customer service experience in an office / medical office environment including scheduling, admitting, and/or financial counseling.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills demonstrating the ability to communicate effectively and courteously with physician office staff, patients, and/or insurance carriers.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced professional environment.
• Demonstrated competency to successfully perform Patient Access Representative duties, which would typically be obtained through 12 months direct experience.
• Ability to understand and solve complex problems dealing with governmental entitlement programs, commercial insurance requirements, contractual obligations, and reporting requirements.
• Ability to apply the use and terminology associated with CPT and ICD-9 coding, as well as basic anatomy/physiology, and out-patient diagnostic testing medical terminology, Medicare guidelines, HMO and PPO contracts and other insurance billing processes.
• Excellent organizational skills and maintains a professional and neat work environment.
• Please note – some of these positions are essential personnel during disaster situations (like Hurricane evacuations/threats). These essential positions include ER Patient Access Specialists and some Lead level positions. Please inquire during the hiring process to ensure you are aware of the requirement for your position.
• Depending on location, process and system knowledge will differ. Examples include order entry at the outpatient locations and scheduling in some satellite locations.
While not required, education or certifications in the following areas are helpful in acquiring a position in the area - as well as for advancement opportunities:
• Certified Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA) through the National Association of Healthcare Access Management (NAHAM)
• Completion of a medical terminology course.
• Bilingual - preferably Spanish.
Must possess good physical health. Some requirements include but are not limited to standing, sitting or walking for long periods of time. Lifting at least 50 pounds is required. Must be able to work with a moderate level of noise.
Physical Effort required: Constant (67%-100%) - handling/feeling, talking, hearing, seeing
Frequently (34%-66%) – reaching
Occasionally (1%-33%) - lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling, climbing (stairs, ladders, etc.), balancing, stooping, crouching
St. Tammany Parish Hospital is a full-service acute care facility committed to providing world-class healthcare while using the latest technology. We are the second-largest employer in the parish and have been delivering quality healthcare since 1954. St. Tammany Parish Hospital partnered with Ochsner Health System in 2014 and together we are focused on increasing local access to care, improving quality and reducing the cost of healthcare for area patients.
Contact : Jennifer Randazzo
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel : 985-898-4540
Fax : 985-898-4360
Address : Jennifer Randazzo 1202 S. Tyler Street, Covington LA