Program at a Glance
The Health Information Technology curriculum provides individuals with the knowledge and skills to process, analyze, abstract, compile, maintain, manage, and report health information.
Students will supervise departmental functions; classify, code and index diagnoses and procedures; coordinate information for cost control, quality management, statistics, marketing, and planning; monitor governmental and non-governmental standards; facilitate research; and design system controls to monitor patient information security.
Graduates of this program will receive an Associate of Applied Science and be eligible to write the national certification examination to become a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT). Employment opportunities include hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, nursing homes, health insurance organizations, outpatient clinics, physician's offices, hospice, and mental health facilities.
- American Health Information Management Association
- Career Map AHIMA
- Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education
- Health Information Careers
- Mississippi Health Information Management Association
What can I expect from a career in Health Information Technology?
- According to the US Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-records-and-health-information... employment of health information technicians is projected to grow 22 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- The demand for health services is expected to increase as an aging population will need more medical tests, treatments, and procedures.
- Wherever health care data is collected, maintained, and analyzed, there is a potential position for a Registered Health Information Technician. HIT graduates find employment in hospitals, nursing homes, home health care agencies, consulting firms, insurance companies, and physician group practices. Locally, salaries range from $30,000 - $50,000, with the average RHIT coder salary being approximately $46,000.
- The median annual wage for health information technicians was $34,160 in May 2012.
For additional career information: Department of Labor Occupational Outlook: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/