Financial Aid

Applying for Federal Student Loans

Pearl River Community College (PRCC) is committed to promoting student success through responsible student loan borrowing. Student loans are borrowed money that has to be repaid, with interest, to the U.S. Department of Education.

Loans are automatically included in a student’s financial aid package, but must be accepted through RiverGuide.  Please click here for a helpful guide on how to accept your loans and complete the requirements for Loan Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note

To apply for loans at PRCC, students must:

  • Complete PRCC admission requirements and be enrolled in an eligible certificate or degree program. Loans are awarded based on the student’s entire academic history. Therefore, transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended must be submitted to the Office of Admissions.
  • Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If selected for verification, this process must be complete for requested documents and corrections to FAFSA information BEFORE loans will be offered.
  • Accept Terms & Conditions in RiverGuide (click here  for instructions).
  • Accept the amount of loans you want for the year (click here for instructions).
  • Complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note at
  • Be enrolled for at least six (6) semester hours. Students who are attending multiple sessions within the semester cannot be paid loans until attendance has begun in six (6) hours.
  • Meet PRCC Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is available at and in the PRCC online catalog.

Additionally, Exit Loan Counseling is required when a student graduates, leaves school, or drops below half-time enrollment.  Exit Counseling provides important information to prepare students for repayment of federal student loans.  Information on Exit Counseling can be found here:

SPECIAL NOTE FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS: Institutional policy at PRCC prohibits the further certification of federal student loans for students who have borrowed an aggregate limit of $23,000 in either subsidized and/or unsubsidized loans. Students with these circumstances must make other payment arrangements for financing college costs.

Loan Revision Requests

If you need to make changes to your student loans, there is a form in RiverGuide to request a loan revision.  On the form, you have the option to increase or decrease your loan amount, cancel your loan, or request the loans to be re-offered to you if they were previously declined.  Instructions on where to find the form in RiverGuide can be found here.